Built in 1913, the Depot was remodeled in 1923 and again in 1945, only to be closed in the 1970's.
In 1990, after two years, hundreds of volunteer hours and thousands of dollars in donations, the Depot was restored by Stoughton Historical Society members.
The Depot now serves as an annex for the Historical Society, a public meeting space and headquarters for the Stoughton Chamber of Commerce.
A display of railroad memorabilia will interest railroad and train enthusiasts of all ages. The Historical Society's extensive collection of farm tools, industrial items, as well as cutter and wagons built by the T.G. Mandt and Stoughton Wagon companies will remind the visitor of days gone by.
Williams Carriage House -was located North of Stoughton on Williams Drive between the Kegonsa Locks and the big curve in the road. The land is now owned by Lake Kegonsa State Park and in 1970 the Carriage House was torn down by the State.
In 1974, a group called "Luke Stoughton Society" formed. Their mission was to save the Luke Stoughton pioneer home from being razed. The home was built around 1848 and was originally located at 130 East Main Street. In 1875 it was moved to the North West corner of Forrest and Jefferson and in 1974 the house was then moved to it's current location at 315 North Division Street. The Luke Stoughton Society rented the home for twenty years before the City of Stoughton gave the house to the Stoughton Historical Society in 2000.
Luke and Eliza's third daughter, Sarah Ellen, married a local boy, Orren Turner, and they remained in Stoughton. The two had five children: Mary, Luke, Gilles, Roy and Paul. In early August 2007, we received word from the children of Orren M. Turner II of his passing and that he had named the Society in his will, as beneficiaries of a matching gift. Orren, known by his friends as Mac, was the great grandson of Luke and Eliza Stoughton and a great friend of the Stoughton Historical Society. During his life he supported our efforts to renovate the pioneer home of his ancestor. Mac passed away October 8, 2006 and his will stated that his estate would match our fundraising efforts for one year after his passing, up to $100,000.00.
We are pleased to report that we surpassed this fundraising goal thanks to the generous donations of the Stoughton community and the Stoughton School District's decision to deed to the Society the land on which the Luke Stoughton House currently sits. We are immensely grateful to all of our donors! A plaque located in the Museum vestibule recognizes the donors of this special fund drive.
Renovations began almost immediately and we have made great progress in structural stabilization, basement repairs, plumbing and electrical systems, installing new windows, insulation and flooring. We are very proud and want to send a special thank you to the Turner family, Dane County, Bryant Foundation, Stoughton Residents, M.A.T.C. and our many volunteers!!
The mission of the Stoughton Historical Society is to bring together those interested in Stoughton's history, and to collect, preserve and display objects and documents that illustrate that history. The Historical Society is a volunteer-run self-supporting not-for-profit organization.The Stoughton Historical Society was organized in 1960 and is a public charity 501 (c)(3).
Our Museum is open Saturdays, 11:00pm to 3:00pm during the summer from Syttende Mai weekend in mid-May to Labor Day. We are located at 324 S. Page Street, Stoughton, WI. Suggested donation: $2.00 per person.
We welcome you to step inside this 1858 Greek Revival former church to view our displays illustrating Stoughton area history. We can also schedule private group tours if you are unable to visit us during our regular hours. Call 608-873-4797 and leave a message. The 2016 featured exhibit is "Stoughton's Victorian Homes".
1925 Fire Truck, built in Stoughton
Norwegian Folk Craft
Luke Stoughton Family artifacts
Victorian Era Dresses
Antique dolls and toys
If you are not able to visit us in person, take a virtual tour through our museum to view many of our displays. We invite you to visit us soon!
Consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lorem urna, mattis in ornare at, lacinia eleifend eros. Vestibulum quis dignissim nisi.Nullam a nunc nisi. Nulla eu odio nec urna posuere lobortis quis venenatis magna. Fusce nunc eros, pellentesque commodo nunc eleifend, imperdiet convallis orci.
Sed consequat augue eget ligula vulputate elementum.
Fusce non elit ut nunc posuere blandit. Vestibulum at erat quis elit hendrerit ornare vel et ante. Pellentesque id leo suscipit, condimentum quam laoreet, congue lorem. Duis congue eros non posuere varius.Nullam a nunc nisi. Nulla eu odio nec urna posuere lobortis quis venenatis magna. Fusce nunc eros, pellentesque commodo nunc eleifend, imperdiet convallis orci.
Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad ...
Litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Morbi bibendum mollis justo, id luctus nibh vulputate eu.Nullam a nunc nisi. Nulla eu odio nec urna posuere lobortis quis venenatis magna. Fusce nunc eros, pellentesque commodo nunc eleifend, imperdiet convallis orci.